This process started with an Executive Council meeting held on Thursday, 31st July 2014. In addition, the Association Chairman and the two Deputy Chairmen, visited Conservative Campaign Headquarters (CCHQ) in London on Wednesday, 3rd September 2014 to discuss the process with the Candidates Team.
The selection process will be conducted in full compliance with the “Rules for the selection of Conservative Party Candidates in Conservative held seats in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for the UK Parliament” (July 2013 edition).
At a Bury St Edmunds Constituency Conservative Association Executive Council meeting held on Tuesday, 9th September, 2014 it was agreed that:-
The Selection Committee would consist of Andrew Speed, Chairman, Sarah Stamp, Deputy Chairman Political, Simon Bennett, Deputy Chairman Membership, Derrick Haley, Vice Chairman and Betty Milburn, President.
The so called “long process” involving Competency Tests would be used to ensure full involvement of all local party members during what will be a rigorous and robust process.
The method of final selection of the Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC) would be by a Special General Meeting of the members of the Association entitled to vote. Voting will be by secret ballot.
The timetable was agreed as follows:-
· CCHQ advertises position to prospective candidates – Wednesday, 3rd September 2014.
· Advertisement closing date – Wednesday, 17th September 2014.
· Selection Committee meets in CCHQ London for sifting – Wednesday, 24th September 2014.
· Competency Tests for short-listed candidates to be carried out in the Constituency during October.
· Executive Council interviews of short-listed candidates – Saturday, 25th October 2014.
· Special General Meeting of the Association for final PPC selection – date to be notified in due course.
No further information is available at this stage.